Training courses and on-the-job training for podiatrists
- Description of the service
Derm-Al Podiatry offers training courses for podiatrists. Courses may be individually tailored depending on the needs of participants.
Derm-Al Podiatry is located in the Dermatology Centre and our podiatrists collaborate with dermatology physicians and assist in dermatologic treatment and in complicated surgeries.
A standard training course takes 3 days, 8 hours each day, and covers theoretical training by watching the podiatrist work and discussing the respective cases, and practical podiatric training under the supervision of the instructor. A trainee may bring their own patients for the purpose of the training course, or these may be our patients.
The instructor is Monika Anhalt-Szawłowska, MA, podiatry specialist, who teaches the “Podiatric Surgery” subject at the post-secondary school TEB Edukacja in Gdańsk and is winner of the Polish competition: Polish Podiatry Champion. She has also completed numerous specialist training courses. She has worked as podiatrist for more than 9 years and her passion is not only podiatry but also knowledge sharing.
Suggested topics of a training course:
- Introduction to podiatry (what does a podiatrist do, how to approach a patient, the most common conditions)
- Work organization at a podiatric surgery
- Disinfection and sterilization of tools
- Basic podiatric knowledge (toenail diseases, toenail construction, foot construction, bone deformations, skin diseases, hyperkeratosis, postural defects
- Podiatric interview: purpose of the interview and documentation - patient files
- Professional podiatric drill (properties, functions, handling)
- Drill bits - different uses and selecting the right type of drill bits depending on the condition
- Good podiatric manicure
- Introduction to orthonyxia
- Orthonyx braces (types, properties, indications and contraindications)
- Selected case study (ingrown toenail, corn, cracking feet, fungal nails, inflammation, diabetic foot, etc.)